Saturday, July 18, 2009

Enjoying the Harvest during the financial crisis!














Veggies clockwise (beets, peas, romaine lettuce, broccoli, carrots, green beans, tomatoes, bib lettuce, carrots, purple cabbage, curly kale, red kale, garlic, green cabbage, lutiano kale, rainbow swiss chard, spinach)

WOOHOO organic veggies! Gotta love the pay off for all that weed pullin'. My back needs the extra magnesium for all the muscle spasms. :o)
It's hard to believe its end of July already. Where does the time go. The older I get the faster it goes.

This summer has been busy but mostly busy at home. We had a laundry list of things to accomplish this summer (put new windows in the house, make a compost bin, build the green house, finish the horse shelter, put bathroom flooring in, put the deck on the back of the house, fix the animal fencing, build a chicken tractor and the list goes on). This is all from materials we already have from freecycle and craigslist. thank the Lord. We did not have to buy a penny of it. :O)
However there is not enough man power to go around here to finish all that stuff.
But hey at least we got the veggie garden in and even had strawberries and cherries that we picked and made cobblers and yummy treats like that. And we are doing our compost bin today.

I have done alot of experimenting lately with cooking. Mostly with fermenting.
Lacto fermented ketchup, gingered carrots, sauerkraut, kombucha, kefir, yogurt, mayo and more. Making crispy nuts, crispy pumpkin seeds and breads.

I spend all my time dealing with food it seems. If I am not in the garden I am in the kitchen.
But I am so thankful to be able to use these skills I am learning for possibly the future with the way our economy is going who knows how much this might help to have our own milk, eggs, fruits and veggies.

Financially it is getting very scary for many. Pauls work has had MANY cutbacks that is effecting us financially (severely) I might add losing over $1000 a month, and we are at risk for him losing his job due to layoffs but we are hanging on to the promise that we will be cared for. God will never leave or forsake us.
Non the less it does help to know that we can provide some of our own food.
We have cut back as much as we can possibly cut back. No cable tv, no cell phones, no going out to eat, no nice cars (just thankful our car works), no new clothes or shoes etc etc but you know what?, with all that we are so content.
Still looking for ways to make extra money just to survive :o) (selling produce, milk and boarding horses) Any little bit helps.

God is teaching us through all this. To rely on him and to be so thankful for what we have. I feel SOOOOO blessed despite my circumstances. I mean to others we look extremely poor yet I feel so rich. Not financially but rich in so many other blessings!







1 comment:

JoAnn said...

Hi, you left me a comment/question on my blog about CVA but your profile is set to "noreply" and you didn't give an email address in your comment. I'd be happy to answer your questions if I had an email address to write back to.